Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Puzzle Blocks


These puzzle blocks were easy to do and turned out very cute!

Supplies needed:

9 Wooden blocks (I used 1 3/4" unfinished blocks, and lightly sanded them)
6 pictures of the right size (mine needed to be 5 1/4" square)
Mod Podge and foam brush
paper cutter or scissors
craft knife
ruler


I laid out my blocks, I originally thought I would make a 4x4 puzzle but ended up deciding on a 3x3 puzzle instead.  I bought these unfinshed, so they needed to be lightly sanded.also be aware that they may not all be perfect cubes, many of mine weren't.

All of my pictures came from this book. It was exactly enough for two puzzles.


I made a rough template that was 5 1/4" by 5 1/4" so that I could use it like a 'window' to get an idea of which of my pictures would work.




I knew my blocks were 1 3/4 inches so I then used the paper cutter to make them into squares.


Once that was done I simply Mod Podged them onto the blocks.

 
You may notice that some of your picture pieces hang off the edge. 




Nearly all of mine did, at least a bit.  I used a craft knife to cut off the excess, and later even scissors, I found that either way worked just fine and it wasn't a problem.  though when you are applying your pictures try to make sure that the excess parts are not the really important parts, like the face.

Continue this process until all of your pieces are applied.  I found that all of them needed an additional coat of Mod Podge.


4 comments:

Jessica said...

Very cute idea! I'm gonna have to try this one :) My daughter loves puzzles.

Connie said...

What a great idea. My grandchildren would love these. I may just have to make a few sets. Thanks for the idea.

Hugs to ya,
Connie

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

Clever idea.. love it!

kanishk said...

really like your new hair, too!

Work from home India